Friday, April 5, 2013

Upcycled Yardstick

 Have you ever seen the episode on Friends where Chandler finds Monica's secret closet? Monica was a clean freak and every thing had a place, but she had this one closet that nobody knew about. Well, you could say I might have a few closets like that. I am not proud of this and it drives me absolutely insane every time I open a closet door I am attacked by all of the crap stuffed in the closet. Sometimes I think I could probably qualify for the show Hoarders. My living spaces are usually clean minus the toddler finger prints and toys.  I have really tried hard to work on my hoarding, I have even purged a few things which to a hoarder can be the hardest decision they ever have to make.

One of the closets that I am working on is our utility closet. Um, I must confess you can't even see the floor.  I have lunch bags, shopping bags and aprons just thrown on the floor. The first thing I need to do is get the floor picked up. I am really into using the resources I already have because I don't think I should be spending my child's college fund on pretty baskets and hooks. So, I looked around my house and came up with the idea of using clothes pins (as hooks) glued to a yard stick.



Please note that all of the bags are empty and do not have anything in them. I don't know how well the clothespin will hold a bag filled with stuff. I just wanted to add that disclaimer. 

I think the clothespins hooks would also be cute to use in a kitchen command center or to display child's art work. Or lost socks in the laundry room.

I know you are all jealous of my Wonder Woman apron. :)


Let's take a look at what the floor looked before shall we?


Holy, HOT MESS Batman! I told you it was bad! It was such a relief to get that stuff off of the floor and get rid of the things I didn't need. I think it already looks a lot better in there.

Here is how I made the rack using the yardstick and clothespins.

I got these clothespins at the Dollar Tree awhile back. I painted (5) of them white just to make them a look a little prettier as hooks. 


I then printed out some blue and white striped paper from this blog. (On a side note: Did you know you can get almost any color of scrapbook paper you want on the internet? You just need a printer.) After I printed out the design on the paper I then cut out strips to lay on the clothespins and used Mod Podge to finish off the look of the clothespins. 


I then laid all of the clothes pins out on the yardstick so I could figure out where they would be glued


I used a little Gorilla Glue and glued the back of the clothespin onto the yardstick. I placed a rock on the clothespins to add some pressure when drying.  Once you have let it dry then you are ready to hang the yardstick. This was such an easy project. You can get yardsticks or rulers just about anywhere. I found this one for .69 cents at Lowes. Hopefully, I haven't scared you all away with my messy unorganized closet. I hope you all have a great weekend! 






12 comments:

  1. Guau a like so much these idea . Is so cute,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. If one turned the yardstick to vertical position, then applied clothes pins every 6 inches one would have a hanging strip like ones found in the stores. It could be used for empty bags, hot pads, cards, notes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute idea! We all seem to have too much stuff, I can relate. Have a great week, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fabulous idea! LOVE the yellow on the yardstick! If you haven't already, would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 5 Blogs! http://www.rainonatinroof.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-monday-3-link-party.html
    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Melissa!

    I'm lovin' this idea!

    And yes I am jealous of your Wonder Woman apron! :)

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I really do read all of your comments and appreciate each one of them. :)